Good morning, Sisters!

Good morning, Sisters!

I’m running a bit late this morning.  I was so full of energy for the first three days of this week, but this morning I feel like lead is pulling down my eyelids!  I suppose the exhaustion of the weekend is finally catching up.  

Never one to disappoint, God had some good stuff waiting for me this morning!  In case I missed the point yesterday, READ and RE-READ!  I accidentally started with the same chapter that I read yesterday, but this time I saw something that I missed yesterday.  Isn’t that why this is referred to as a living book?  We see something differently as we come to it on different occasions - even if those different occasions are very close to one another!  The priest in our old church (I am a cradle Episcopalian) liked to use the African Bible Study method in classes.  It basically involved reading the same passage three times in a row.  I never really “got” it - probably because I was not in the right frame of mind.  In my callous and self righteous way, I thought about all of the other things I could be doing with my time while I was wasting it with him re-reading the same words.  Ouch.  Now I am starting to understand that IF I am looking for truth and ‘nuggets’, He will reveal them.  Search and find, knock and the door will open.  So many songs in my head right now!  Not just words, but real worship and understanding of what they mean.  Thank you, Father!

The nugget I missed yesterday was in Gen 25:2-5.  Trust and Obey, and remember that you are setting an example and putting pieces in motion for your children.  Things were looking bad at home with the whole famine deal, and the natural reaction was to run to a place where life would be more comfortable (as in - eat or not eat regularly!)  We are talking about more than just creature comforts, this was potentially an issue of life and death.  But God told Isaac to stay put and stick it out, and that he would be rewarded for his obedience.  Abraham had taught his son obedience, and so Isaac had a role model in his own life to follow.  Not only that, but Abraham (the father) had set in motion the rewards that Isaac (the son) & his descendants would reap.  Same lesson, different story from yesterday - Trust and Obey (.. there is no better way!)  Our family has been struggling with an issue for the past few years and trying to discern God’s will in the situation.  Does He want us to stick it out?  Or is is time to throw in the towel?  We believe the messages have been clear to stick the course, but it has certainly been painful.  Just when we (I) start to wonder again, along comes another sign from out of the blue!  I can hear so clearly the message, "Stay the course and don’t give up.  I will reward you in My Time.”  It’s not a voice I hear, it’s just a peace in my heart that I believe is the Holy Spirit.  He has put us in the time, this place and this circumstance for a reason.  We may not be able to see the purpose, but our job is to Trust and Obey.  Quit trying to control everything around you, and just let him take the wheel.  Use the gifts and talents he has given you, and use them to give glory in the place he has put you!  

The other point that hit me in the face:  this was, in fact, the same message with the same person from yesterday:  Trust and Obey!  Isaac demonstrates that even those who are in tune and obey with some issues turn around and try to take control in other issues.  The story above demonstrates an example of a person listening and obeying, but then turning around and taking matters into his own hands by lying to protect himself.  The same guy who did a great job yesterday screwed it up today.  I think we all can relate - and I think that is part of the point.  God made us human with our faults and doubts, and He understands!  We are not condemned to hell because we keep bouncing from one end of the “good scale” to the other!  That’s just a part of being human, and he loves us anyway.  Turn around, and come home you crazy lady!  You are not the first (nor the last) person to screw it up!  What makes you think that you’re different from everyone else?  Try to learn your lesson this time, and let’s move forward.  Analyze what happened, make a sincere effort to fix it, and ask & accept forgiveness.  You were not made perfect.  Accept that truth!  (For me, I believe that the problem has been that I get away from studying his word, and so it slips to back of my mental filing cabinet.  I am trying very hard to keep Him in the front and start of my day, and that should keep me more in balance!)

(My attending Tres Dias last weekend was another example of staying the course and not giving up.  There were many people praying for me to attend for many years, and I am to thankful that they did not give up!  I expect it was uncomfortable for them to continue praying for the same stubborn person - wasn’t it time to move on to someone else who was more willing and cooperative?  Nope - they held out, I attended, and my life is changed forever!  Praise God!)

Have an incredible day noticing the things around you that you’ve never stopped to see!

(Boy - I has taken me three days to get through a couple of chapters.  No longer do I view Bible Study as a race to the end of the book!  Been there, done that, and forgot most of it!  Another lesson learned :))

Love you all,
Debbie

Comments